Here's how I make it:
- Reconstitute the soup with half water, half milk (or 3/4 water, 1/4 cream)
- Dice up some fresh tomatoes and onion or leek. Simmer these with the soup and add some pepper (white, red or both).
- Mince some fresh herbs, or muddle dried herbs with a mortar and pestle and add to the soup as it approaches done-ness.
- Grate some cheese directly into the bottom of your soup bowl.
- Ladle the soup on top of the cheese, and add a dollop of sour cream if you like.
- Serve with a crust of crusty French or sourdough bread.